In this module, we will provide you with an overview of IP licensing and IP enforcement strategies.
A common mechanism for exploiting your IP is through IP licensing, which is a contract between you and a third party to whom you are giving permission to do certain things with your IP. IP licensing is a very important strategy to consider.
However, sometimes the effective exploitation of your IP rights requires that you enforce these rights before the courts or through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. We will discuss some of the basic challenges to IP enforcement and offer some insights on managing this aspect of your IP strategy.
We will conclude this module with case studies involving companies that have used offensive strategies and licensing strategies to further their interests.
- Enforcing your IP rights in court
- Enforcement mechanisms outside of the court process
- Learning from examples: case studies
In this module, you will learn how to:
- Explain the process of IP licensing.
- Recognize the general considerations for enforcing your IP rights in court, including international IP enforcement.
- Identify the different mechanisms that exist to enforce your IP rights outside of the court setting.
- Compare and contrast how three companies have used IP licensing and enforcement strategies to protect their business interests and maintain their competitive advantage in the marketplace.